Thursday, November 17, 2011

Leonhardi

Nov. 7th, 2011:
Long story short, another Bavarian festival (oh but the story is so much longer than that). Leonhardi is a procession in honor of the holy horse and livestock patron,Saint Leonhard. Hundreds of decorated horse-drawn carriages carry people adorned in traditional Bavarian clothing through the town and then to the top of the hill where the church (St. Leonhard’s chapel) is. The most famous Leonhardi “ride” takes place in the one and only Bad Tölz. Breakfast consisted of weisswurst and weissbier. I was told I need to eat as much weisswurst as I could because “I needed a good bottom layer.” Then with Maria, and friends, we hiked to the top of the hill to the chapel. After the being in the meadow for a couple of hours, the festival and carriages winds back to down to the city center where celebrations continue long into the day and night.





No comments:

Post a Comment